February Legislative Update
- Mike held a series of Healthcare Town Halls across the district to get the community’s thoughts on the GOP’s plan to gut the Affordable Care Act. He has held events in Vallejo, Martinez, Napa, and Santa Rosa—the last of which drew a capacity crowd of more than 2,000 constituents. Mike is taking your concerns and stories back to Washington as he prepares to fight for the ACA on the Health Subcommittee.
- With Congress and the country still reeling from the President’s Muslim ban, Mike cosponsored two bills to protect immigrants’ rights. The Dreamers, Immigrants, and Refugees (DIRe) Legal Aid Act would provide help to the most vulnerable among us so they can receive legal assistance should they face detention or deportation. The Build Bridges Not Walls Act would block the President’s costly, ineffective, and insulting border wall.
- In the wake of the allegations around Michael Flynn and his subsequent resignation, Mike called for an independent investigation into the administration’s ties to Russia.
- With Women’s History Month right around the corner, Mike began accepting nominations for his annual Woman of the Year Awards, recognizing exception leaders in business, public service, philanthropy, and other sectors. The winners will be announced this month at a special ceremony.
- At the urging of local law enforcement officers from our community, Mike led a group of lawmakers in calling on ICE to remove the word “POLICE” from its gear. By misidentifying themselves as police officers, ICE risks undermining the relationships between local law enforcement and immigrant communities. This puts everyone at risk, as crimes could go unreported for fear a victim or their loved one may be deported.
- As Chairman of the Gun Violence Prevention Task Force, Mike urged his colleagues to bring law enforcement officers as their guests to the President’s Address to a Joint Session. Together they held a press conference on Republican Proposals to Undermine Public Safety—raising much-needed awareness on the GOP’s attempts to deregulate silencers and weaken concealed carry permitting procedures.
- Mike also launched “Adopt a District” to help elect Democrats in swing districts. He’ll host two fundraisers for Jon Ossoff in the GA-06 race on March 24th—one in Sonoma and one in Napa.